First off, it must be said that I am not the biggest fan of any sort of theatrical performance. I don't have the patience to sit in a crowded, stuffy theatre and attempt to differentiate one actor from another or decipher muffled lines in a room with bad acoustics. And with that being said, given that the overall nature of The Visit was not conducive to said lack of enthusiasm when it comes to the arts, I was not a huge fan of this play. This play lacked passion and even worse, humor. Perhaps if the play had some punch behind it I would have been able to pay attention. But then again it might not have made that much of a difference either, because let's be honest, I have a hard time concentrating long enough to watch a movie in a movie theatre. So, perhaps my opinion is a bit lacking in that regard.The Visit is the story of the German town of Guellen which fell upon hard times and were hoping to be saved by the generous funding by a locally famed millionairess, Claire. The town is in a state of depression and hopes that all their problems will be solved when Claire comes to town and gives them millions of dollars. However, as with all stories of this nature, that is not the case. Instead, there is a murder in exchange for the money. Now that's quite a happening. This story does however, have scandal going for it, that's for sure. Murder. Love. Divorce. Everything anyone could want in a play, but as I said before, it lacked life and laughter. But maybe that's the point.
This drama needed to be modernized or spiced up with a bit of character. Don't get me wrong, the actors did a good job. There wasn't any type of major mess up as far as I could tell, and something must be said for their stellar acting (I mean, they have more guts then I ever will).
No comments:
Post a Comment