Thursday, April 1, 2010

The current state of our nation's health

Health care reform has been a hot topic with Americans for the past six months. There are fears of what could possibly happen, praise for the current administration's actions, and anger about the implications and requirements if the bill became law. Well, here we are. The bill has passed, and Americans are now attempting to understand exactly what that's going to mean for them. However, as I read the New York Times article on the night the bill passed I randomly began to read about student loans. Now I consider myself to be relatively knowledgeable about what is happening in the news, so I am not sure if I simply never paid attention to this part of the bill or if I was under a rock and every other American knew about it but me. However, as I began to read this random part of the bill I was shocked to see that the government was not only ousting the private sector from health care, but they were now ousting private lenders from student loans and grants, according to  New York Daily News. The one good part of this, that the amount that students will be require to repay monthly is only 10 percent of their income. So, hopefully I will be able to take the money that I don't have to pay to the private lenders for my student loans and instead put it towards the universal health care coverage that Obamacare will require me to buy. Is that a fair trade? Since when has this country been a land of mandates and government impositions? Isn't our motto "The Land of the Free." What is free about requiring citizens to purchase health care or to be fined by the federal government. Is that how a democracy works? Pushy Government? I'm not buying it, and I really don't understand why so many people are. Everyone has said repeatedly that the health care system is broken. It functions only for the rich and the poor. If you have money you can receive the best of the best, and the poorer you are the more the government will step in to pay for your care. So what about the middle class? What about struggling college graduates (like myself in 5 weeks) that can barely pay bills, much less over $100 for a doctor's appointment and a prescription for a stuffy nose. And what was the government's solution to this horribly flawed system? Demanding that I now take my rent money and buy health coverage provided by the government. Since when did the federal government have any place in a free market economy or in the private sector? I do admire Obama for tackling something as big as health care reform, but he should have chosen a plan that will work. The current state of our economy cannot support the cost of the changes that will be enacted because of this law. So what are we to do? Continue to enact social programs and break the backs of the middle class. I am for change and hope and a better tomorrow, but you have to go about things like that in a certain way. You have to have the money to back up what you're saying, but more than that you have to have the support of the American people. In my opinion, the government doesn't have either to carry this law to fruition in 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment