Dear Mr. Editor,This coming weekend will usher in the holiday season that we have all come to know and love, Easter. There will be Easter egg hunts, Easter baskets, Easter lunch, and Easter dresses. There will be pastel colored eggs and little boys and girls running around like mad trying to get the last egg. As I sit and ponder this somewhat novel holiday, I find it necessary it interesting that so many people will celebrate this holiday without a reason for celebration. Families across the country will have crazy Uncle Ned dress up in a bunny costume hiding shiny plastic eggs filled with overpriced candy just so small children can run around with a basket and pick them all back up again. It's as if the nature of the season has been lost.
Obviously as a practicing Christian, the fundamental purpose for this holiday is somewhat different than most, however I feel that the outcome is the same no matter one's religious affiliations or beliefs. This holiday should be a celebration of hope. For me this hope comes in the fact that my Savior died for me on the cross 2,000 years ago, and I now have the unique priviledge of spending eternity in Heaven with Him.
However, I realize that not everyone has found faith like I have, so I want to encourage individuals to smile at someone this Easter weekend. Try to be someone else's hope and joy. Those aren't just actions and emotions strictly set aside for the Christmas season. It can be as simple as a wave or a polite greeting. You never know what others are going through, and a simple smile could potentially bring someone hope and comfort. So I challenge your readers to forget about themselves for a moment and be someone else's hope. We can all make a small difference in this world, and before we know it we might even change it.
No comments:
Post a Comment