Friday, April 2, 2010

Tomorrow is another day

I will admit it. I am a true Southerner at heart. I'm not talking about the kind of Southerner who waves a rebel flag instead of an American flag every fourth of July and those individuals who feel the need to act like rednecks. I absolutely despise Southern accents and those people who still swear that the South will rise again, but when it comes to the South during the Civil War my heart just melts. I'm not sure where this extreme obsession came from, but there is just something about hoop skirts and chivalrous gentlemen that just fascinates me. I'm sure by now you see where this is going. My favorite movie of all time is (and I admit this with a slight feeling of embarrassment) Gone with the Wind. The way Vivian Leigh plays Scarlett has captured my heart since I was a little girl. This movie just so happens to be my mother's favorite movie as well so perhaps thats where my affinity for the film developed. This movie is the perfect picture of the thriving South prior to the war with all the balls and parties and other frivolous activities. However, every time I see Ashley go off to war it's as if I think this time the ending will change. Maybe he'll turn around, and he won't have to go. The one downfall of this movie, it is an entire event to watch. The film itself is over five hours long, and to find anyone who will sit down and watch this God-given movie with me is like pulling teeth. It's as if every time the movie is on I'm a little girl again sitting in my big, pouffy dress that my grandmother had given me, and I'm just eating my heart out, perfectly content. But I realize that my love for this movie is met with a great deal of hatred for this dramatic love saga. However, how could it get any better then when Clark Gable looks right into Vivian Leigh's eyes as she realizes her undying love for him after four hours of dramatic chasing and love games and says, "Darling, I don't give a damn." And just like that, he walks away. Out of her life forever. It must also be said that Clark Gable is possibly the single most handsome man to have ever inhabited this planet and his manners and charm radiate off the screen. And there I am, watching the movie for the thousandth time, swooning over an era long gone and forgotten by so many. But it secretly (and somewhat pathetically) will alway have a place in my heart.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you in that it's nice that people used to possess basic courtesy, but you know that soft, Southern drawl that's associated with "Southern belles" and Southern men?

    I can't stand it. It is the worst thing in the world for me to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is completely horrible. That is why I have never been/will never go to Charleston.

    ReplyDelete