Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A Hipster Dance Party

I will admit that I was a little weary when I first popped in my Hipster Dance Party mix into my CD player. As the first seconds of track one began to ring out my computer's speakers I cringed at the thought of having to listen to 18 random tracks that are eccentric enough to put hipster and dance into the same description. According to Urban Dictionary, hipster dance is defined as the occurrence "when people, namely hipsters, 'dance' at concerts by standing around, bopping their heads, occasionally tapping there foot and MAYBE once in a while swaying their hips. This is to make sure that they look like they are enjoying themselves but not TOO much because that wouldn't be cool." And, surprisingly this track lived up to its head boppin' name. As track 2 by Blur began to play I found myself singing along to a song that I've known for years, and from that point on I was hooked (minus a few tracks like 6 or 7 that I could have done without). This wasn't the only music coincidence found on this wonderful dance mix, but as I rounded the end of the mix I heard a very familiar and loved song, Such Great Heights by The Postal Service. This then brought on a feeling of nostalgia as I reminisced back to my freshman year as I rode around, windows down, with The Postal Service blaring through my sunroof. That is when it hit me, could I be....a hipster in this wonderful dance party? This mix had a beat, but not one of those obnoxious bass beats that make your ears bleed, and tunes that made me want to sing along. While some of the tracks were not all they could be, I found the overall mix to be a wonderful accompaniment to the end-of-the-semester homework I'm attempting to finish in the next few days. So, all-in-all I am pleased to say that this hipster just added a new dance mix to her iPod playlist. All thanks to you, Profesor Carr.

No comments:

Post a Comment