Thursday, April 1, 2010

Spring Break Blues

Spring break. A sacred and revered word in the life of a college student. A mini-vacation located conveniently in the middle of spring semester. An oasis of hope for many that the end of the semester will soon be drawing nigh. An entire week (and a half if you count weekends and the few classes you skip on either side hoping to continue in your blissful state of nothingness) where students escape from the abyss of Statesboro into the beckoning arms of Panama City beach. Except me. Every year I take refuge in the fact that spring break is reserved for a trip out of the country to a struggling country where I can make a difference. My mission trip escape is a recharge for me. A simple way to refresh my soul by helping those who are less fortunate. However, with a wedding to-do list looming over my head and a fiancee reminding me daily of my job search that has yet to be tackled, my spring break will be spent in Atlanta, Ga.Now, I know what you're thinking. "It's Atlanta. It can't be that bad. There's plenty to keep you occupied in Atlanta."
And while your assumption would be correct any other week out of the year, this week is reserved for everything wedding. And to make matters somewhat worse, the high the entire week is 59 degress. FIFTY-NINE degrees! The high in Statesboro has been in the mid-seventies, and now that I'm leaving for spring break I must pack every sweater and jacket that didn't already get stuffed in my winter clothes box in my fit of joy after I saw the temperature reach above 65. Packing sweaters for spring break. Does that sound ironic to anyone else? Or am I just going crazy. And if this weather wasn't enough to make me want to stay in the house all day long, every hour of the entire 11 day period I have at home is planned out to the last second. My life is never planned out in this much detail. I am a person of to-do lists and such, but never have I had to go to such great links to ensure that my schedule will be able to accommodate all of the things that must get done on this blessed break.
However, its not all gloom and doom. When I return from the break the wedding will be crossed off my to-do list and all my effort will be thrown into graduating college. The job search can wait, for now.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I'm sorry your spring break was cold. x) But your wedding will be worth it in the end!! :D

    ReplyDelete