Summer. The Mecca of any student's life. A time where teachers don't matter, homework doesn't exist, and all the information shoved into our brains for the past nine months slowly melts out of our ears as we lay out by the pool. Unless of course, you're graduating. As much as I would love to say that my summer will be spent by the pool with a cold drink in my hand, sadly I fear those days are over. After May 8 at 9:00 a.m. I will receive my Bachelor's degree and supposedly be expected to instantly become a contributing member of society. Perhaps this monumental change could be pushed aside for three months so that I can have my final summer as a child, but after June 6 I will be married and married people don't get to be kids anymore.
I look back nostalgically at summers past. Remembering the late night drives and beach trips with my friends. But the funny thing is that is not exactly how anything happened. It's funny how memories work. They remind you of what you want to be reminded of. It's as if they have a mind of their own. I thoroughly enjoyed every summer of my college experience, don't get me wrong, but they were not spent at beaches or traipsing around the country like a vagabond. Rather my college summer memories revolve around the hottest and stickiest city in the universe (Statesboro, of course), teachers, homework, and over air conditioned classrooms. Yes, I was a proud summer school kid, and it paid off too since I will now be completing my college experience in only three years. However, I somewhat feel robbed of this greatly revered college summer experience. No worries or responsibilities, just complete and utter laziness. It's funny though, at the close of every Term B session I would attempt to shove my entire fleeting summer experience into the three week break the power that be gracefully give us to regain our sanity after spending every waking summer hour in a classroom. Cruises, pool days, beach trips, and irresponsibility would all be flooded into this three week window of bliss. And this would keep me going until Christmas break, and I would do it all over again and try to get the rest of the restless summer bug out of my system.
But it wasn't all bad. Those of you who have taken summer classes can probably attest to this. While Statesboro is possibly the single hottest part of the entire country throughout the summer and walking to class feels like being baked in an over, you form some very odd friendships with the few random people still down here for the summer. It's as if you reach this point of complete and utter boredom so much so that you begin to call the most interesting people in your phone book to hang out. And this is what makes it all worth it. Late night frisbee golf, midnight Sonic runs, hours upon hours of mindless tv watching and mini golf makes it all worth it.
As much as I long for those days of summer, this summer will prove to be the best summer of my life. I turn 21 in April, so just before the summer sun really gets heated up, and then I'll be married and out of Statesboro in June. What more could a girl ask for? Since my job search has just begun in almost mid-April, I am hopeful that perhaps I will still be granted some time to be a kid, and to enjoy my summer sun, finally.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment