Monday, March 8, 2010

Memento

I will be the first to admit that when it comes to psychological thrillers I don’t exactly jump up and down for joy in anticipation for the plot line that will test my brain capacity and my patience. And decidedly the movie Memento brought up the same feelings of confusion and frustration in my mind as the end of the movie the Sixth Sense.
Now there are those people who can watch movies of this nature and guess the ending and plot right off. Clearly, I am not one of those people. From the very beginning of Memento I stared at the screen in utter confusion, trying to allow my mind to piece the puzzle together as clue after clue was uncovered. Admittedly, towards the end of the movie I was very confident that I had now become one of those plot line aficionados who could spout out the ending before the credits rolled. But, as is usually the case with these types of movies, I was terribly wrong in what in my mind was a spot-on conclusion.
This movie begins with a whirlwind of information and activity as the main the main character, Leonard Shelby (played by Guy Pearce) is introduced. Throughout the movie Shelby attempts to solve the puzzle of his wife’s disturbing rape and murder.
Leonard’s main obstacle throughout the entire movie is his memory loss condition that renders his short term memory obsolete and only allows him to remember situations and facts that occurred before he was injured the night his wife was attacked.
The story line involves many people who seemingly take advantage of Leonard’s condition in order to justify their own hurts and wrongdoings. The end of the movie, in my opinion, was complete cinematic genius. I stared, completely baffled, as the credits rolled trying to unglue the working puzzle I had in my mind in order to replace it with the final picture I had just been given.
The jerky scenes and piecey flashbacks were the films only downfalls, but what it lacked in flow it made up for tenfold in surprise. The movie Memento is a film that will leave you looking around in complete and utter confusion blown away that you never saw that coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment