Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A day in your virtual life

Video games and virtual computer worlds seem to be more addictive to users than anyone could have anticipated. Yahoo Games released a report on March 5, that a couple in Korea allowed their three month old daughter to starve to death in Sept. because they had engulfed their entire life with an online game called "Prius." In the article the couple admitted that they would often leave their newborn child at home while they went out to game at all hours of the night. This is what the couple had been doing for twelve hours when they finally returned home in the morning to find their daughter dead. The report went on to say that this is not an isolated incident. A 50 year-old man also died from playing a video game for over 50 consecutive hours. How can these games be more intriguing than actual physical life and emotional relationships? How can a video game mean more than a precious and helpless little girl? This is something I will never understand, and I can only hope it is just a fad that will fade away as people begin to realize that life means so much more than a world generated by a man-made machine.

1 comment:

  1. It's that mind over matter argument again. I can't remember the name of the study but I read something where psychologists took monkeys and mice and have them a drug that would stimulate pleasure sensors in their brains. Once they knew what the drug looked and smelled like and how to get it they would choose it over food over and over until the point of starvation. It's interesting.
    But in this case, I'm afraid the above story was a survival of the fittest issue. That couple didn't deserve to have a baby so God just took her back.

    ReplyDelete