Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Georgraphy is a curious sport

Have you ever heard of a river flowing north, which to you would seem completely illogical or impossible? Perhaps you have heard the myth that toilets in the northern hemisphere flush in a counterclockwise direction, while toilets in the Southern hemisphere flush clockwise? Ever wonder why we have to lose an hour of sleep in the fall only to get it back in the spring? These crazy phenomena owe their unique existence to the subject we all found painfully boring in grade school, geography.
The river runs....North
While it might seem wrong for a river to flow north, the direction in which river flows completely depends on their geographical position which, regardless of where the river is, is still subject to gravity **gasp..** A few examples of rivers that flow north are the world's longest river, the Nile river, the Ob river in Russia, and the Red River in the U.S. 
The flow of the bowl
The myth of the flushing toilet water was birthed out of the concept known as the Coriolis Effect. This theory in human speak says that objects (like flushing toilet water) appear to move in opposite direction when the frame of reference (the earth) is rotating. So essentially, while it may appear that the water is flushing in opposite directions (which many people have claimed to be a busted myth) it isn't always the case. Some argue that the configuration of taps and drains has more of an effect on the flow of water than the pull of the earths orbit.
Save energy, use daylight
Daylight savings time was invented by the U.S. during WWI in order to save more energy and money. The U.S. is not the only confusing country, however. Europe exercises Daylight Savings during the summer, and countries in the southern hemisphere use it from October to March. The country of Kyrgyzstan is currently the only country that observes year-round DST. The countries geographical situation on the globe determines the seasons,which is determined by how much sun hits that particular site on the earth, which determines when more sunlight will be in that location during a given time of year.
Fun facts:

During the eight-month period of Daylight Saving Time, the names of time in each of the time zones in the U.S. change. 
Eastern Standard Time (EST)=Eastern Daylight Time
Central Standard Time=Central Daylight Time 
Mountain Standard Time=Mountain Daylight Time
Pacific Standard Time=Pacific Daylight Time (PDT)



3 comments:

  1. Sarah has written a lot of blog entries. I’m not too sure if all of them are for the opinion journalism course. The ones I recognized are the ones I have read and have chosen to review for the evaluation of her blog.
    • The 2010 Winter Olympics Games (2/19/2010): I enjoyed reading this entry because she expressed the difference between America and other countries in terms of pride and boasting. I agree with her in that Americans do a lot of showing off when it comes to something they (we) are proud of. But I also believe that other countries have the same amount of pride for their players in the Winter Olympics games and other sporting events, but it’s just that America is a lot more popular in terms of country ratings. If France was more popular, then they would probably, in my opinion, seem a little conceited as well. I really like the way she ended this blog entry. It was very interesting and I feel as if anyone who read that entry would have known what she was referring to in the last sentence.
    • Horrible’s Blog Review (2/17/2010): This blog entry was simple and sweet. Sarah expressed how she felt about the movie that evidently showed as her opinion and not fact. One thing I didn’t like was how she described the film. I could be wrong, but I believe movie reviews should suggest whether a person would watch the movie and in addition express his/her opinion about the film. Critics should describe movies without telling the movie. Sarah, in her movie review, told the beginning, middle, and end. If someone who never saw this movie read this entry, they would know about the movie and probably wouldn’t see it because they know what happens. This blog entry is a spoiler to me. It’s revealing too much information and preventing a viewer from making an opinion on his/her own.
    • The Lure of the Fast Food Demon (2/11/2010): For this entry, there are some things I agree with and some things I disagree with. Basically, I agree with the factual information about the consumption and purchase of fast food. However, I do not like how Sarah said in the beginning that “Americans are obsessed with fast food”. Where is that a fact? I’m American and I’m not obsessed with fast food. There are many Americans who do not eat fast food at all. What she said was, intentional or unintentional, stereotypical. In the journalism world stereotypes are a no-no, right? There are times I eat fast food to get a quick bite. But I don’t live solely on fast food and I am not obsessed with fast food. I know the health risks of fast food and I do not eat at fast food restaurants with high health risks. And she mainly spoke of McDonalds. In my opinion she is claiming that America is McDonalds and Americans ONLY eat McDonalds. I hate McDonalds and I repeat, I’m American. She should rephrase her first sentence and others as well so she doesn’t offend others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. • Now that’s a touchy topic… (2/4/2010): In this entry she followed instructions. In my opinion, she should have made the blog entry towards an audience who wanted/needed to see examples of editorial articles instead of stating it was for class. I think that if someone were to come to her blog and saw this entry, they would have seen that this blog was for a class and not for a particular audience. Therefore, they wouldn’t want to come back because they feel the blog isn’t for them, instead it is for a class.
    • Statesboro’s Noise (2/1/2010): This entry reads to me like a story. It’s truthful, but the last sentence leaves me hanging. It says, “That is when I stumbled upon Statesboro's noise ordinance.” And that’s how it ends. She doesn’t explain Statesboro’s ordinance and doesn’t provide a link to what she found. I’m sure inquiring minds want to know. Other than her presentation in class about the subject (from what I remember), there is nothing about the subject in the blog entry.
    • Social Networking - The Future of Our World (1/29/2010): This entry was very informative and interesting. I like how she started it off, relating to many people in today’s world. When I was reading this entry, it actually felt as if I was reading a professional opinion blog. She did a great job on this one, in my opinion.
    To me, Sarah has been keeping up with assignments. What I got from her style of writing is that she likes personalizing and relating to others. This is a great skill because readers/viewers won’t get bored. I’m actually glad I got to read a blog with a real and not robotic personality. Some of the entries I couldn’t read because when I clicked on them, they went to an entirely different website separate from her blog. I didn’t understand what happened or how it happened. I just went on to the next one. In a couple of the posts, links didn’t pop into new tabs/windows and so I had to find my way back to the page I was on. I think she has a great blog, regardless.

    In terms of employment, she might need further review by the board members and the president of the publishing company. She has skills the company can use to bring people in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This article had some weird spacing issues. Don't know if it's you or your blog.

    COMMENT ON STUDENT EVALUATION:
    You've demonstrated effective usage of the English language (sadly, I can not say that about all college students). Your extracurricular posts are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete