Critical thinking is defined as the mental process of actively and skillfully conceptualizing, applying, analyzing, synthesizing, and evaluating information to reach an answer or conclusion.
So as the astute critical thinker that I am, I wonder how can a teacher read a subjective work and try to objectively grade your opinion. Isn't that a contradiction? I believe that it is. Now I completely understand that the reasoning you turn in to your teacher must be sound and coherent and have the facts from the work you are reading or you will fail. That is obviously not the type of grading I am addressing.
The Foundation for Critical Thinking is a community that is attempting to revolutionize the classroom by changing the way concepts and ideas are being taught.
The analysis of thought
The assessment of thought
The dispositions of thought
The skills and abilities of thought
The obstacles or barriers to critical thought
If a student uses this process correctly and efficiently then how would a teacher be able to grade their work? The role of grading needs to be reconsidered in our university system. It shouldn't be a matter of how much you can cram into your brain, but rather how critically you can understand and critique the ideas presented to you and then put those thoughts down on paper. Critical writing should be the grading scale, not objective memorization.
****DISCLAIMER:This post was in no way directed at our opinion journalism class. I understand the premise of the class is to grade delivery, not content.****
****DISCLAIMER:This post was in no way directed at our opinion journalism class. I understand the premise of the class is to grade delivery, not content.****

No offense taken. I don't grade students on their opinions. Hell, most of you have gotten good grades telling me how much you've hated watching the films and music I have given to you. I try to judge on the structure of your argument. It's okay to believe what you wish, however intelligent people can back up these beliefs with well-defined reasons.
ReplyDeleteHaha! Good! I can definetly see how that could be taken as an attack on your class style but I enjoy formulating my opinion in a not as structured environment.
ReplyDelete