Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog is one of the most, well, interesting movies I have watched in quite some time. It is a musical short film produced for release only on the Internet in 2008. Here is a short synopsis of this insightful film. *Dr. Horrible wants to be a supervillian in the Evil League of Evil, but is constantly being assaulted by Captain Hammer, his arch nemesis. In the beginning act Dr. Horrible is filming his video blog and bursts into song about Penny, his love interest who he met at a laundry mat. However, Dr. Horrible is not the only one with feelings for this foxy dame, and Captain Hammer soon steals Penny away. In an attempt to win Penny back and discredit Captain Hammer, Dr. Horrible builds a stun gun that is supposed to rob Hammer of his powers, and Horrible and Penny will live happily ever after. However, during the struggle as Horrible zaps Hammer with the death ray gun, Penny is impaled with a shard of plastic and dies. Horrible then turns completely evil, puts on a red cape, and joins the other villians in the Evil League of Evil."
Having grown up on musicals, I had an open mind at the beginning of this intriguing short film. Dr. Horrible seemed like a nice young man simply pining away for a pretty lady while simultaneoulsy attempting to become an evil villian. The film took a turn for crazy when Captain Hammer showed up on the scene and broke into song about his relationship with Penny. I completely understand that this is not your typical musical, however, the songs seemed a bit odd to me. While they were original, and catchy, I found it hard to concentrate and follow the story. And as I watched the ending of the film as Dr. Horrible picked Penny's lifeless body up off the ground and placed it on the stretcher, sheer horror ran across my face. What kind of ending was that? As I walked away from class after partaking in this interesting cinematic adventure, all I could think to myself was, well, that sure was something.


You weren't the only one shocked by the ending.
ReplyDelete