Monday, January 25, 2010

Composition-Then vs. Than

One of the most common and annoying mistakes that I see in grammar and composition today, ESPECIALLY by college students, is the misuse and mixup of the words then and than. Let's turn to dependable Webster for the most accurate description of these two extremely different words.



: soon after that; next in order of time



*THAN: used as a function word to indicate the second member or the member taken as the point of departure in a comparison expressive of inequality



"When comparing one thing with another you may find that one is more appealing “than” another. “Than” is the word you want when doing comparisons. But if you are talking about time, choose “then"


As you can see, the word thAn is a conjunction that is used when comparing two unequal things. Than may also be used as a preposition when comparing something to another.

Example: "You are older than me."

The word thEn has a completely different function entirely. This word is used for sequential events and may function as a noun, adverb, or adjective. This word may refer to either the present or the future, but normally refers to something in a sequence.

Example: "I went to class, and then I went home."

What you've learned:

THEN is used when discussing a continuation or a sequence.
THAN is used in comparisons.

We're in college now people. Let's get it together.

3 comments:

  1. I love this. I see it all the time in people's articles, and it annoys me to no end. Your matter-of-fact tone makes me smile and gives me hope for others... maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I didn't think people were still making mistakes like that with then and than in writing. But I hear it verbally all the time so I guess I shouldn't surprised.

    ReplyDelete